This article is about the Elephone S8 Review with Pros and Cons.
The last year Elephone S7 has been quite successful as that was among the first to make edge to edge screen smartphone apart from Galaxy S7 Edge. Now the company has come up with a newer version which is undoubtedly known as S8. There has been improvements here and there, but at the same time although not downgrades there were also some downsides. So here I am to review the Elephone S8 with pros and cons, plus with problems and issues.
Below are the lists of Elephone S8 advantages and disadvantages review which can be also be considered as pros and cons along with problems and issues.
Reasons to Buy Elephone S8 (Pros and Advantages):
1. The screen size has been increased to 6 inches from the last year 5.5 inches wide in diagonal. But that’s not the reason consumers are after, they are interested in the resolution. It comes with a 2K display which has a resolution of 2560×1440 pixels. So for the 6 inch screen it has a pixel density of 489 ppi (pixels per inch). Means you can use a VR headsets without any pixelation issues which otherwise you will encounter with a full HD screen. Its brightness is high enough to view under direct sunlight comfortably. The saturation, colors and contrast of the Elephone S8 are all good. So, overall from the display department its a very good panel. By the way the screen-to-body ratio of the display is 92.4% which is extremely high.
PROCESSOR & GRAPHICS
2. Next pros of Elephone S8 is with the engine which comes powered with a Helio X25 SoC. Yes it is a deca-core CPU which has a clock speed of 2.5 GHz. However many might argue that it should have come with Helio X30 chipset. But for once look at the selling price, plus the display is already humongous with 2K resolution. I can safely say that right now its probably the best valued smartphone under 240 bucks.
3. As its made for pro users it has to come with a very good graphical processing unit. And yes it does comes with one, its the ARM Mali T880 MP4 which has a clock speed of 850 MHz. Boy it can handle any graphic intensive games. Be it Asphalt 8: Airborne, Modern Combat 5: Blackout, etc. without any noticeable drop in frames speed or lags what so ever. Plus even under extreme game play for long period of time the Elephone S8 does not have any heating issues or problems.
RAM & ROM
4. The primary memory is 4 GB which is the RAM for multitasking. When you open the device and boot for the first time it has about 2.2 GB left. The operating frequency of the RAM is 800 MHz.
5. It comes with a 64 GB ROM which acts as the secondary memory for storing files and installing applications. About 56 GB is left for the user as the rest is consumed by the system.
6. Another Elephone S8 advantages is the primary camera which is powered by Sony IMX220 sensor. The resolution is a 21 megapixel PDAF (phase detection autofocus) sensor which can record videos in 4K resolution. That’s right, this time it can do actually record videos in 2160p at 30 fps (frames per second). Apart form that it can also shoot slow motion videos at 1080p at 60 fps (frames per second). The quality of both still images and videos are good in outdoors with decent dynamic range. In low light the LED flash is required to keep the noise levels low. On the front it comes with a 8 megapixel sensor. The quality in low light is not up to the mark but in good lightning conditions (especially natural light) it performs well.
SOFTWARE, SPEAKERS & USB PORTS
7. The operating system is Android Nougat. And like all Chinese brands they come installed with stock Android. Means it does not have any unnecessary applications. The user interface is also free from any bloatwares. Elephone pushes software updates every now and then to deal with security fixes and bugs.
8. Listening music on the loud speaker is a pleasant experience. Its powered by NXP audio amplifier which amplifies the sound to a very high level without loosing audio quality. However the speakers are not a front facing, they are placed on the bottom to each sides of the USB port.
9. Speaking of USB port now it comes with a USB Type-C reversible connector. Which also means it supports USB OTG cable. And yes it still have the 3.5 mm audio jack.
10. On the front below the massive display there hosts a fingerprint scanner. Its very responsive and pretty accurate in recognition. Users can register up to a maximum of five fingers. Plus you can unlock the device from any angles.
11. It comes embedded with all the important sensors. They are ambient light sensor for automatic brightness control, gravity sensor, gyroscope sensor, hall sensor, proximity sensor and accelerometer.
BATTERY & GORILLA GLASS PROTECTION
12. The battery capacity of the device has been really improved to 4000 mAh which is definitely required for the massive display.
13. Plus the Elephone S8 supports fast charging technology for the battery. Means now it can charge the device in just 120 minutes. The predecessor didn’t have quick charging feature.
14. And the last advantages is that over the 6 inch screen it has a protection from Corning Gorilla Glass.
Reasons Not to Buy Elephone S8 (Cons, Demerits, Downsides, Disadvantages, Issues and Problems):
1. The first Elephone S8 cons or issues is that it does not have a dedicated memory card slot. One of the SIM slot has to be donated for the micro SD card. So practically its either a single SIM smartphone or a smartphone with no memory card slot.
2. I don’t understand why the company is still using the glossy plastic material. I can understand that to reduce cost they are using plastic. But glossy finish body is highly susceptible to scratches even within a week of normal usage. Follow this link for a full metallic body with 2K screen and Helio X25 CPU.
3. Another problems or disadvantages of the device is that there is no NFC (near field communication). Its not a serious deal for many but there are some who uses NFC as an daily important tool for payment services.
4. And the last cons of Elephone S8 is that it does not have the navigational touch buttons below the screen. All of them are placed on the screen itself.
My Verdict: Improved considerably, but still with couple of cons. However if you are looking for a better alternative smartphone then follow the link below.
That is all about the review of Elephone S8. If there is anything you would like to know do post your comment below.