This article is about the UMIDIGI S2 Review with Pros and Cons (Problems and Issues).
Recently UMIDIGI has launched the successor S2 to the last year model. Along with it there is also the pro variant but in this article I am not going to review that. Now the price at which it is being sold is pretty good. The specs and features are decent. The main feature of the device is the display and that’s the selling point. So lets review the UMIDIGI S2 with pros and cons.
Below are the lists of UMIDIGI S2 advantages and disadvantages review which can be also be considered as pros and cons along with problems and issues.
Reasons to Buy UMIDIGI S2 (Pros and Advantages):
1. As I have mentioned above that the display is the primary thing that will come to everybody attention. It has a massive 6 inch screen which is an all vision display. The screen extends to all the corners on the front panel. The aspect ratio is 18:9 which is quite tall. For media consumption its a great device. The colors do pop very well and so does the brightness which is comfortable to view under direct sunlight.
PROCESSOR & GRAPHICS
2. Under the hood it has a very powerful 2.3 GHz Helio P20 SoC (System-on-Chip). It is an octa-core processor which can handle any intensive task without producing any heating problems or issues. You will also not experience any lags or hangs what so ever.
3. Another UMIDIGI S2 pros is that for gaming it comes with a powerful Mali-T880 MP2 GPU. It can run any graphic intensive games with any drop in frames speed. Games like Asphalt 8: Airborne, Blackout, etc. runs very smoothly with any noticeable lags. Nenamark benchmark gave it maximum frames speed of 59.6 fps (frames per second).
RAM & GPU
4. For multitasking it has 4 GB of RAM as primary memory, out of which it has about 2.1 GB left after initial boot. The secondary memory capacity is 64 GB, out of which it has 56 GB left for the user for installing apps and storing files. There is also a memory card slot which can take micro SD card up to 256 GB.
5. Currently out of the box it runs Umi OS which is bed on Android Marshmallow. Its a clean near stock Android software with a couple of bloatwares which can be uninstalled very easily. By the way Umidigi has notified that it will be upgraded to Android Nougat.
6. On the rear the camera is a combination of two sensors, viz. 13 megapixel and 5 megapixel. The 13 MP is the regular camera and the other 5 MP is for producing bokeh (also known as blur effect). So now what is the quality, well considering the price its good for outdoors in bright natural light. In low light conditions it suffers a bit with noise, but the LED flash helps to minimize the noise. The camera on the front is a 5 megapixel sensor which takes decent selfies.
USB PORT & SENSORS
7. Next UMIDIGI S2 advantages is that it comes with a USB Type-C reversible connector. Means it also supports USB OTG cable for file transfer between pen drives and the smartphone.
8. On the back it has a fingerprint scanner which is just below the camera sensor. In terms of speed its quite quick in responding. It takes only 0.2 seconds to recognize and unlock the device. The maximum number of fingers you can register is five. And yes you can unlock the smartphone from any angle.
9. Apart from the fingerprint sensor it has accelerometer, ambient light sensor for adaptive brightness control, e-compass for turn-by-turn navigation with maps, gravity sensor and proximity sensor.
BODY MATERIAL & BATTERY
10. For powering up such a beefy specs it needs a battery capacity of at least 4000 mAh. And boy it has more than that. To be specific it comes with a 5100 mAh capacity which will run for more than two days under normal usage. Even heavy gamers can expect to run for a day. And above all it has the fast charging for the battery which can charge the device in just 150 minutes.
11. Except the front panel which is glass the rest is made out of metal. The company said the metal-to-body ratio is 98%, means technically there are no any plastic parts. It comes in two colors, viz. red and black. The red looks dope!
12. And finally the last advantages is that it comes with a protection from Corning Gorilla Glass. The version of the Gorilla Glass is 4.
Reasons Not to Buy UMIDIGI S2 (Cons, Demerits, Downsides, Disadvantages, Issues and Problems):
1. The first UMIDIGI S2 disadvantages or cons I see is the resolution of the display. Its 720×1440 pixels which has a pixel density of only 267 ppi (pixels per inch). With that amount of pixel density its hard for consuming visual media through virtual reality headsets. It could have at least the resolution of a full HD screen. Follow this link for an alternative option with a much better display resolution.
2. Second cons or problems is that it does not have a dedicated memory card slot. Means its a shared slot or also known as hybrid-slot. One of the SIM card slot has to be donated for inserting a micro SD card.
3. Another UMIDIGI S2 issues or cons is that there is no 3.5 mm audio jack. You will have to connect a Type-C to 3.5 mm adapter. It is supplied inside the box.
My Verdict: Good if you compromise the cons. However if you are looking for a better alternative smartphone then follow the link below.
If you believe I have missed something in the review of Umidigi S2 then post your comment below. I will take a look and let you know them.