This article is about the Xiaomi Mi 5X Pros and Cons Review.
The company is trying to fill a gap, a category where Xiaomi does not have any smartphones. So accordingly they released the Mi 5X. Specs wise its a very good smartphone but the price is something which many has been complaining. And I agree too in that matter, and so that’s why I have published this post to talk about the Xiaomi Mi 5X review with pros and cons. You will also find some problems and issues down the way.
Below are the lists of Xiaomi Mi 5X advantages and disadvantages review which can be also be considered as pros and cons along with problems and issues.
Reasons to Buy Xiaomi Mi 5X (Pros and Advantages):
1. The front panel is a 5.5 inch full HD screen which has a resolution of 1920×1080 pixels. With a brightness level of 450 nits it bright enough to view under direct sunlight. Colors do pop very well with no any problem or issues related to light bleeding. The pixel density of the display is 403 ppi (pixels per inch). It’s a LTPS IPS LCD technology which is better than a TFT but not compared to AMOLED. The screen-to-body ratio of the device is 70.1% which is decent.
2. Under the hood it has been shipped with a 2.0 GHz Snapdragon 625 chipset. Many didn’t like because they were expecting it to have the 65X series chipsets. But you have to understand the point which is that Xiaomi is specifically targeting Samsung. And in that regard it’s definitely better than them. Even if you compare with the Moto G5 Plus it’s a lot better, you will know further down the way. The Snapdragon 625 is a very good processor with probably one of the lowest heating issues from Snapdragon. Applications runs very smoothly without any noticeable lags or problems.
3. It comes with 4 GB of RAM for multitasking. It’s ok not to have 6GB because that would increase the price to a who new level as there ain’t any other from am major manufacturer that has more than 4 GB of RAM. But the way out of the 4Gb it has about 2.1 GB left after initial boot.
4. The graphics for gaming has been embedded with Adreno 506 GPU. It’s a great GPU even for playing graphic intensive games like Asphalt 8: Airborne, Modern Combat 5, etc. It does not overheat under when played at the highest configurations.
5. An internal memory of 64 GB is supplied with the device and you also do have the option to increase the memory up to 128 GB with the help of a micro SD card. You will have more than 56 GB left for strong files and installing applications.
6. Another Xiaomi Mi 5X advantages is the camera for it comes with a dual setup type. Both the sensor on the rear are 12 megapixels which is unusual as the majority out the in the market have one sensor less pixels than the other in dual setup mode. And yes they are PDAF with very fast focusing and refocusing time. It can record videos in 4K resolution, to be specific 2160p@30fps. This is the cheapest smartphone from Xiaomi to have the 4K recording feature. Slow motion is also possible but at a lower resolution of 720p@120fps. The LED flash is a dual tone one and the front camera has a resolution of 5 megapixels. But the most surprising feature that you will find is the 2x optical zoom.
7. The software is the latest version of MIUI9 which has been released recently. It is based on Android 7.1.1 which is a version of Android Nougat. Now regarding software updates Xiaomi is well ahead of many brands as they provides software updates both in terms of security and very features every now and then.
8. Next pros of Mi 5X is that it has a USB Type-C reversible connector. Means it supports USB OTG cable. You can also connect MHL TV-out or HDMI cable, obviously with a converter.
9. One thing many brands failed to embed is the infrared sensor, but Xiaomi didn’t failed as it has an Infrared sensor for IR blaster. IR sensor makes your smartphone possible to control electronic home appliances like TV, AC, etc., where there is a feature of remote control.
10. Here are the list of the most important sensors. Accelerometer, ambient light sensor, e-compass, gyroscope, hall sensor and proximity sensor. It’s missing the barometer and SpO2 sensor which is found in Galaxy S80, I guess no one will and also shouldn’t complain for that.
11. On the rear it has a fingerprint scanner. It’s quick in responding and pretty accurate in recognizing, it never fails. The location is very convenient as the index finger automatically rests on the fingerprint sensor, no mater which hand you use.
12. Below the screen it has a dedicated navigational touch buttons. I am calling it as a pros because many smartphones have the on-screen navigation which is not good as it uses the real state of the display.
13. And finally we come to the last point which is regarding the weight design, slimness and body material of the smartphone. It’s just 7.3 mm in thickness and weights only 165 grams. The body is of Aluminum metal which is very premium with rounded edges and corners.
Reasons Not to Buy Xiaomi Mi 5X (Cons, Demerits, Downsides, Disadvantages, Issues and Problems):
1. The first is obviously the small battery capacity of 3080 mAh. That is an average capacity. They should have at least shipped with 3500 mAh. For normal usage it’s sufficient to last a day but frequent users who are avid gamers will have to charge more than once a day. However to solve the problem it has the fast battery charging technology with the supplied adapter.
2. Another Xiaomi Mi 5X problems or disadvantages is that the memory card slot is not a dedicated one, it uses one of the SIM card slot thereby making the smartphone a single SIM device. You will have to compromise one way or the other.
3. There is no Corning Gorilla glass as display protection, not even Asahi Dragontrail Glass. Matter of fact is that Xiaomi uses Gorilla glass only on their flagships.
4. Next Xiaomi Mi 5X cons or issues is that it has missed the NFC (Near Field Communication).
My Verdict: Despite it has a lower batter capacity and with couple of cons it’s still one of the best at the given price tag. However if you are looking for a better alternative smartphone then follow the link below.